Virtual Beer School
A 12-session interactive online prep course for the Certified Beer Server exam
From September 3rd, 2020
[September – November 2020]
Virtual Beer School is a 12-session interactive online course to help prepare attendees for the Cicerone® Certification Program’s Certified Beer Server exam.
The exam covers the fundamentals of beer flavour and evaluation, beer ingredients, beer styles, and how to best store and serve beer.
There are several different syllabi available (US, UK, International, etc.). As we will have attendees from several different countries, we will be using the International Syllabus as our guide.
All topics will be covered, however, they will not be covered in the order of the syllabus.
Find a weekly breakdown of the topics to be covered below:
Session 1: September 3rd – Ingredients: Grains, Water; Flavours: Malt & Grain
Session 2: September 10th – Ingredients: Hops, Yeast; Flavours: Hops & Fermentation
Session 3: September 17th – Beer Flavour & Evaluation
Session 4: September 24th – Beer Styles: Understanding styles & style parameters
Session 5: October 1st – Beer Styles by Region: UK (7 styles)
- Styles include: Best Bitter, English IPA, British Brown Ale, Sweet Stout (allergen warning: contains milk/lactose), Oatmeal Stout, Irish Stout, Wee Heavy
Session 6: October 8th – Beer Styles by Region: Germany (7 styles)
- Styles include: Kölsch, Munich Helles, German Pils, Czech Premium Pale Lager, Märzen, Helles Bock, Doppelbock
Session 7: October 15th – Beer Styles by Region: Germany (3 styles) + Belgium & France (4 styles)
- Styles include: German Weissbier, Berliner Weisse, Gose, Belgian Witbier, Gueuze, Fruit Lambic, Flanders Red
Session 8: October 22nd – Beer Styles by Region: Belgium & France (5 styles)
- Styles include: Belgian Blond Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Belgian Tripel, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, Saison
Session 9: November 5th – Beer Styles by Region: USA & International (7 styles)
- Styles include: American Light Lager, International Pale Lager, American Wheat Beer, American Blonde Ale, American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, American IPA
Session 10: November 12th – Beer Styles by Region: USA (7 styles)
- Styles include: New England IPA, Double IPA, American Barleywine, American Brown Ale, American Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
Session 11: November 19th – Keeping & Serving Beer: Beer storage & draught systems; Beer Flavour & Evaluation: Off-flavours
Session 12: November 26th – Keeping & Serving Beer: Serving bottled & draught beer, Beer glassware
Please note: This schedule is not yet final. There is no course on October 29th. This course is not affiliated with the Cicerone® Certification Program.