Virtual Beer School
A 12-session interactive online prep course for the Certified Beer Server exam
The next course starts January 7th, 2021
[January – March 2021]
Virtual Beer School is a 12-session interactive online course to help prepare attendees for the Cicerone® Certification Program’s Certified Beer Server exam.
The exam covers the fundamentals of beer flavour and evaluation, beer ingredients, beer styles, and how to best store and serve beer.
There are several different syllabi available (US, UK, International, etc.). As we will have attendees from several different countries, we will be using the International Syllabus as our guide.
All topics will be covered, however, they will not be covered in the order of the syllabus.
Find a weekly breakdown of the topics to be covered below:
Session 1: January 7th – Ingredients: Grains, Water; Flavours: Malt & Grain
Session 2: January 14th – Ingredients: Hops, Yeast; Flavours: Hops & Fermentation
Session 3: January 21st – Beer Flavour & Evaluation
Session 4: January 28th – Beer Styles: Understanding styles & style parameters
Session 5: February 4th – Beer Styles by Region: UK (7 styles)
- Styles include: Best Bitter, English IPA, British Brown Ale, Sweet Stout (allergen warning: contains milk/lactose), Oatmeal Stout, Irish Stout, Wee Heavy
Session 6: February 11th – Beer Styles by Region: Germany (7 styles)
- Styles include: Kölsch, Munich Helles, German Pils, Czech Premium Pale Lager, Märzen, Helles Bock, Doppelbock
Session 7: February 18th – Beer Styles by Region: Germany (3 styles) + Belgium & France (4 styles)
- Styles include: German Weissbier, Berliner Weisse, Gose, Belgian Witbier, Gueuze, Fruit Lambic, Flanders Red
Session 8: February 25th – Beer Styles by Region: Belgium & France (5 styles)
- Styles include: Belgian Blond Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Belgian Tripel, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, Saison
Session 9: March 4th – Beer Styles by Region: USA & International (7 styles)
- Styles include: American Light Lager, International Pale Lager, American Wheat Beer, American Blonde Ale, American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, American IPA
Session 10: March 11th – Beer Styles by Region: USA (7 styles)
- Styles include: New England IPA, Double IPA, American Barleywine, American Brown Ale, American Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
Session 11: March 18th – Keeping & Serving Beer: Beer storage & draught systems; Beer Flavour & Evaluation: Off-flavours
Session 12: March 25th – Keeping & Serving Beer: Serving bottled & draught beer, Beer glassware
Please note: This course is not affiliated with the Cicerone® Certification Program.