Virtual Beer School
A 12-session interactive online prep course for the Certified Beer Server exam
From January 13th, 2022
[January – March 2022]
Virtual Beer School is a 12-session interactive online course to help prepare attendees for the Cicerone® Certification Program’s Certified Beer Server exam.
The exam covers the fundamentals of beer flavour and evaluation, beer ingredients, beer styles, and how to best store and serve beer.
There are several different syllabi available (US, UK, International, etc.). As we will have attendees from several different countries, we will be using the International Syllabus as our guide.
All topics will be covered, however, they will not be covered in the order of the syllabus.
Find a weekly breakdown of the topics to be covered below:
Session 1: January 13th – Ingredients: Grains, Water; Flavours: Malt & Grain
Session 2: January 20th – Ingredients: Hops, Yeast; Flavours: Hops & Fermentation
Session 3: January 27th – Beer Flavour & Evaluation
Session 4: February 3rd – Beer Styles: Understanding styles & style parameters
Session 5: February 10th – Beer Styles by Region: UK (7 styles)
- Styles include: Best Bitter, English IPA, British Brown Ale, Sweet Stout (allergen warning: contains milk/lactose), Oatmeal Stout, Irish Stout, Wee Heavy
Session 6: February 17th – Beer Styles by Region: Germany (7 styles)
- Styles include: Kölsch, Munich Helles, German Pils, Czech Premium Pale Lager, Märzen, Helles Bock, Doppelbock
Session 7: February 24th – Beer Styles by Region: Germany (3 styles) + Belgium (4 styles)
- Styles include: German Weissbier, Berliner Weisse, Gose, Belgian Witbier, Gueuze, Fruit Lambic, Flanders Red
Session 8: March 3rd – Keeping & Serving Beer: Beer storage & draught systems; Beer Flavour & Evaluation: Off-flavours
Session 9: March 10th – Beer Styles by Region: Belgium & France (5 styles)
- Styles include: Belgian Blond Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Belgian Tripel, Belgian Golden Strong Ale, Saison
Session 10: March 17th – Beer Styles by Region: USA & International (7 styles)
- Styles include: American Light Lager, International Pale Lager, American Wheat Beer, American Blonde Ale, American Pale Ale, American Amber Ale, American IPA
Session 11: March 24th – Beer Styles by Region: USA (7 styles)
- Styles include: New England IPA, Double IPA, American Barleywine, American Brown Ale, American Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
Session 12: March 31st – Keeping & Serving Beer: Serving bottled & draught beer, Beer glassware
Please note: This course is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Cicerone® Certification Program.